[clug] Internal Modems

Owen Cook rcook at pcug.org.au
Sun Jan 29 23:33:10 GMT 2006

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, Steve Walsh wrote:

> Most of the Internal ones are cheaper as they are winmodems, which is what a
> modem would be if Satan ran the design shop. I've never liked Winmodems, and
> always found them to buggy in their native OS. I don't know if anyone in
> CLUG has any luck or not under Linux. Obviously, be wary of any winmodems
> that use the Rockwell HCF chipset. All their work is done by their
> (generally windows only) software.
> http://howtos.linux.com/howtos/Winmodems-and-Linux-HOWTO-1.shtml#ss1.2 has a
> good idea of some of the faffing about to get one of these working under
> linux.
>
> I've been using the (external) Netcomm CD2004 Mega-I-modems
> (http://www.netcomm.com.au/Spec_Sheets/CD2004_Info.pdf) a few times for bits
> and pieces. RRP is $120, but I've seen them around at places like U-Mart and
> EYO for $80-odd.

I think you will find that the modems on MBs are winmodems.

Internal modems, like their external counterparts are selfcontained units

The standard drivers seem to cope with all the modemss I have played with

Check the markets, if you can still get an external modem they will be
about $30, internal ones which I saw just the other day were about
$20. Maybe $5 at the used tables.

Owen