[clug] USB storage on USB2 with hubs

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Thu Jan 26 15:18:10 GMT 2006

Steve Jenkin wrote:
> Mikal - a great heads up! Thanks.  some pricing for others interested...
> A great alternative to Mini-ITX - especially if they are hackable!!
> [$364 no-ram http://www.elx.com.au/item/ELS1002 ]
>
> Linksys on their site have 4 Australian retailers.  One in Brisbane.
> The NSLU2 is:
> $161 @ Harris Technology
> $198 @ Dick Smith
> $179 @ CX Superstore (Sydney)
> $146 online at 'Instant IT' [a bunch others there too]

They're $99 here at Frys, so they're reasonable prices when you take
into account shipping, tax and so forth (most US prices don't include
the 8.2 percent tax).

> It's a brilliant idea - especially if it does disk mirroring.  Put your
> disk storage in a cupboard (locked!) and you've got a chance against
> burglars and maybe fire... Trivial upgrades, backup by 'broken mirror',
> quick-n-easy

Well, they run Linux, so I guess they do whatever. I am considering
moving my 4 * 250gb disc RAID 10 to one, but that means using a hub,
hence the question.

Mikal