[clug] Rant - er, opinion piece - about Linux

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Sat Jan 21 03:05:53 GMT 2006

On Friday 20 January 2006 13:22 pm, Hugh Fisher wrote:
> <http://cs.anu.edu.au/~Hugh.Fisher/rants/wizards-muggles.html>
>
> Any and all corrections, suggestions, or flames welcome.
I disagree. If you want to measure capability, then the ability to handle any
system (within a reasonably short period) is what should count. I am OK with
Linux, but not very good with Windows or MacOS. True "wizardry" is about
being able to handle any system, because you can grok the architecture. Linux
(or any other single OS) isn't the best way to learn this.

Example: writing a networking application on Linux is OK, but porting that
application to windows and adding SSL support that works with CryptoAPI, and
any of OpenSSL 0.9.6, 0.9.7 or 0.9.7 is mastery.

Brad