[clug] table/tablespace growth prediction tools

Leigh Purdie intersect at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 00:17:57 GMT 2006

Hi Boris,

Do you have any particular DB in mind, and are you particularly interested
in row counts, or disk space availability?

The reason I ask, is that some databases (eg: mysql) utilise a process
whereby the space allocated to deleted rows (or more to the point, deleted
rows that use varchar, blob or text fields) is not actually returned to the
system unless an 'OPTIMIZE TABLE' command is used.

As such, depending on your usage profile, you may see gradually increasing
'tidal surges' of data, that take up disk space, and never seem to release
it back again - though your actual row count does jump up and down as
expected.

I suspect something like a 'simple moving average' algorithm might be
appropriate for prediction (again, depending on the complexity of your usage
profile) - the algorithm is used a lot for share market stuff, so there
should be plenty of examples out there.

Regards,

Leigh.