[clug] Richard Stallmans presentation

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Mon Jan 9 17:40:11 GMT 2006

Martin Pool wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 10:36 +0000, Richard wrote:
>
>>For all of Google's "do no evil" promises, they're still a for-profit
>>enterprise, and until a not-for-profit enterprise attempts this sort of
>>thing, then it can essentially be defined as a niche/flash-in-the-pan.
>
> archive.org, which is a non-profit, also hosts media files.  So is
> hosting of large files now not a flash in the pan?
>
> What a strange criteria for pan-flashes!  I don't recall any non-profits
> running intercontinental cables, for example, but they seem to be still
> around after ~100 years.

Sure. It's also interesting to draw a comparison between people like
archive.org and our Australian telcos. I love the idea of hosting
becoming free over time -- I think the world will be a fundamentally
better place because of it.

An example. Linux happened (to a certain extent) because Linus suddenly
had a way of efficiently sharing his output with others. Services like
archive.org and Google Video do a similar thing for video producers.

The video producer still owns the copyright by the way -- so there is
nothing stopping them from changing hosting implementation later.

Mikal