[clug] Ubuntu - looking for a hand to get started.

Peter Anderson peter.anderson at ozemail.com.au
Mon Jan 2 13:18:09 GMT 2006

Rhys,

Hi!  I am also relatively new to Linux and am using Ubuntu 5.10.  I may
not be the best person to respond, but am happy to share experiences.
First off, I live in Batemans Bay so will have to do this via the list
or direct e-mail.

I have two PC's (a Toshiba desktop running Windows XP Pro and a Cougar
(from Mitchell) desktop which dual boots WinXP Home and Ubuntu).  I
occasionally run live CDs on the Toshiba so both PCs use Linux.  I have
an ADSL connection (via OzEmail using a D-Link ADSL modem) and have
absolutely no configuration required for either PC to connect to the
Internet.  The Linux start-up process (using a veriety of distros) finds
the network and automatically configures it.  Prior to ADSL, I used a
dial-up connection.  Simply, if you don't have an external hardware
modem then you will have a great deal of problems connecting to the
Internet.  The only exception I ever found was an early version of
Xandros which seemed to have the necessary Winmodem drivers and it was
just as easy as that other operating system to connect-up.

Printers are another problem area.  I have a Canon Laser Shot laser (
great little printer) but until very recently, I have not been able to
get a Linux driver (I now have one but have yet to try it).  Recently I
purchased a Samsung laser printer from Harris Technology in Fyshwick
(approx. $180) and it works fine with Ubuntu.

One thing that has been of a great help to me is the diary I started
when I first installed Ubuntu.  I make notes of any issue that I have
and the process used to resolve it.  The diary makes re-installs or
up-grades to later versions much easier.

Hope that helps a little.  My e-mail, if you need it, is peter.anderson
[at] ozemail.com.au

Regards,
Peter
--

Peter Anderson
E: peter.anderson at ozemail.com.au
P: +61 (0)2 4472 2274
M: +61 (0)418 249 648
There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to
conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the
introduction of a new order of things -- Niccolo Machiavelli, /The
Prince/, ch. 6