[clug] Remapping keys in mozilla firefox

Owen rcook at pcug.org.au
Mon Jan 2 03:50:31 GMT 2006

Michael Cohen wrote:
> Hi List,
>   This might be a dumb question but how can one remap the keyboard
>   shortcuts in mozilla firefox? Being a long time emacs user I am used
>   to pressing alt-w to copy, which produces rather frustrating results
>   when filling in web forms etc. Alternatively is there a way to stop
>   tabs from closing when forms are half filled?

This is from Firefox Help, looks like you need to do it in the window
manager if it's Gnome

Owen

This is a list of the most common keyboard shortcuts in Mozilla Firefox
compared with the shortcuts to equivalent actions in Internet Explorer
and Opera. If you have enabled Emacs-style text editing shortcuts in
GNOME, they will also work in Firefox. When an Emacs text editing
shortcut conflicts with the default shortcuts (as occurs with
CtrlCmd+K), the Emacs shortcut will take preference if focus is inside a
textbox (which would include the location bar and search bar). In such
cases you should use the alternate keyboard shortcut if one is listed below.