[clug] Advice for buying computer fair routers?

Michael Cohen michael.cohen at netspeed.com.au
Thu Feb 23 07:35:47 GMT 2006

Brad,
  If you just want a router it doesnt make sense to run an entire box just for
that. You cant go past a netgear WGT634u for example. Its a 200mhz mips box with
32mb ram and 8mb flash - it runs linux already so you can use it as a server
(mail/web/whatever). I have one which I use to ssh into from around the place and
check my mail with mutt/fetchmail/procmail. This one has a usb port for storage
and draws approx 6-10watts. Also no moving parts so its silent. Oh you get
wireless for free too (not that it matters to you). Im running openwrt on it:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs

I got a couple off ebay where they go for between 50-60 bucks.

Michael.