[clug] Best way to backup an entire harddisk

Alastair D'Silva alastair at newmillennium.net.au
Thu Feb 9 08:32:51 GMT 2006

Before dding, create a large file with compressible data (eg, dd
if=/dev/zero of=$fs/zero), then remove it. This will allow your image to
compress better.

You can also use dd with gzip/bzip2 to compress on the fly:
dd if=/some-device | bzip2 > /some/other/filesystem/file

--
Alastair D'Silva           mob: 0423 762 819
Networking Consultant      fax: 0413 181 661