[clug] February CLUG Programmers' Special Interest Group meeting

Pietro Abate Pietro.Abate at anu.edu.au
Wed Feb 8 02:35:14 GMT 2006

automake and friends are very easy to use...
and this book might be of a start :)
http://sourceware.org/autobook/

once I've also use autoproject (or something similar) to bootstrap
the whole shebang

hope this helps.

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 10:56:25AM +1100, Robert Edwards wrote:

> A future PSIG request (for someone in the know to deliver :-)
>
> How about a session on how to turn random little C program x into a
> full open-source acceptable project, including setting up automake,
> configure, regression testing, etc. etc.?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bob Edwards (who has just written yet another little utility in C and
> wants to learn how to turn it into a real project for others to use).
>
> Steve Walsh wrote:
> >We have a winner!!
> >
> >Tridge (Andrew Tridgell) has offered to talk about adding transactions to
> >tdb.
> >
> >Background;
> >
> >For those who don't know, tdb is the little database inside Samba, and
> >recently he's added transactions to it, to allow for rollback and make
> >it crash safe. That raised some interesting problems with fsync(),
> >msync() and undo logs, plus techniques for avoiding a separate
> >transaction file.
> >
> >Aaron Seigo from KDE recently showed some interest in incorporating
> >this stuff into KDE (via ldb), and Tridge has done some optimisations to
> >tdb
> >to make this practical. Tridge will (hopefully) discuss the problems Aaron
> >hit and how
> >they were fixed.
> >
> >Hope to see you at Pancakes. Look for the PSIG Penguin sign at the bottom
> >of
> >the stairs.
> >

> >Steve
> >

> --

++ Blog: http://blog.rsise.anu.edu.au/?q=pietro
++
++ "All great truths begin as blasphemies." -George Bernard Shaw
++ Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.