[clug] Re: A most interesting read, most interesting

Randall Crook rcrook at vtown.com.au
Fri Dec 29 16:56:39 GMT 2006

David Tulloh wrote:
> Peter Anderson wrote:
> <SNIP>
> Where this leaves copyright, I have no idea.  My thoughts on the issue
> are somewhat more muddled compared to patents.

I am usually wrong, but I feel both patent laws and copyright laws need
major overhauling. The digital realm has caused the laws to be outdated
very badly. Unfortunately the general populace both in the US and here
in Australia have been duped by Business interests  and have also been
rather apathetic in the DMCA debacle.

Sigh, I am a writer, not a very good one and I doubt I will ever publish
or even receive praise for any of my scribblings, but this debate has
disturbed me no end. Sam has a lot of good points in regards to the
fiasco that is "Trusted Computing" but I see the debate missing the
point. With such an attitude toward creators, all I can see it the fight
getting worse, not better.

The point is we need to fight on multiple fronts, we need to fight the
MS's of the world to prevent them from killing fair use altogether but
we also need to fight *all* pirating. We also need to fight the biggest
issue, the apathy that permeates the Computing universe. PC users while
they don't really understand what MS is forcing on us, the killer is
most really don't care.

I see "Trusted Computing" as a very poor  joke, both in that it is
technically really stupid and restrictive, and in the way its seems to
be nothing to most PC users.

Anyway time for me to get some sleep.

I really do hope I have not offended anyone with my views. I was serious
when I said I like to play devils advocate. It does make poeple to look
more closely at their own convictions and beliefs.

Nite all

Randall.