[clug] A most interesting read, most interesting

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Wed Dec 27 14:38:55 GMT 2006

On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 12:26:54AM +1100, David Tulloh wrote:
> Vista has fixed this problem nicely.  There is now a requirement for a
> secure signal path, right up to the bits of light being transmitted.  So
> an unsecure fancy digital display using a standard DVI cable will have a
> slightly fuzzy picture.  To fix the fuzziness you will have to have a
> DRM compliant video card and a DRM compliant monitor.  This flips the
> equation for the consumer because they now have a choice between a
> product which in unrestricted and one that shows the full signal, I'm
> betting with the DRM guys on this one, consumers will go for the
> "working" restricted product.

A few points: even in the ideal DRM protected monitor, there will be a
point where the data is unencrypted. Solder a few wires and start
recording.

When given a choice between SD and HD quality signals, the masses
invariably choose the SD because they can get 6 times as many channels
in the same space.  In Asia you can buy DVDs where someone took a
camera into a movie and taped it. The quality is "good enough", that's
all that matters.

At the end of the day, the OS has to take it on faith that the path is
actually secure, because there's no way to actually check. Put Windows
in a virtual machine and you can convince it the world is flat.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/