[clug] Slightly OT: disk/psu issue

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 19:32:18 GMT 2006

Looks as though the plug had been making poor contact with the pins.
When the contact area between the pins and the female part of the plug
is reduced either by the female part being a bit loose or not being
seated properly, the full current is passed through a smaller area of
contact than it should be. Small area means higher resistance and
passing the same current through a higher resistance will mean energy
lost as heat (the discolouring of the plug body) and voltage drop. The
voltage drop may have been the cause of your trouble.

If it were mine I'd be looking to replace the plug, or at least to
ream the female contacts with a small piece of rolled up 1200 grit wet
n dry and a squirt of contact cleaner. The trouble with plugs that get
hot is that the heat tends to accelerate oxidation of their otherwise
conductive surfaces and even after you've reseated the connection,
it's still crappier than it ought to be.

So if you're lucky, it may 'just work' from now on, but I'd suggest
erring on the side of caution and doing something about it.

Cheers,
MC