VPN at UC (WAS: Re: [clug] MythTV on TransACT)

James Ring sjr at jdns.org
Tue Aug 22 22:51:03 GMT 2006

Hey there,

> On an unrelated note, I would be extremely interested to know how one
> logs into the VPN via wireless at the Uni of canberra.
>
> Connecting to the wifi network is no problem, it's the VPN that has me
> mystified.

I think you have to be a UC student. If you are, check out
http://www.canberra.edu.au/icts-old/it/wireless.

I think they use a PPTP VPN, so you need to download and install pptp for
Linux. Depending on UC's arrangements, you might also need to compile
a kernel module for MPPE encryption if you have a kernel older than 2.6.15.

Once you've done all that, I've used a tool called kvpnc for KDE to
setup my connection to the ANU DCS wireless, which I think is very similar
to UC's. Check out http://home.gna.org/kvpnc/

HTH!

Regards,
James