[clug] WebCT vs. moodle

Robert Edwards bob at dcsmail.anu.edu.au
Sun Aug 13 11:38:37 GMT 2006

If you look at "http://moodle.anu.edu.au", you will notice that ANU
have an evaluation site for moodle set up already. There is also one
for Sakai, an open-source competitor to WebCT being developed by a
number of very large and influential US universities and to which
the ANU is now a member of the development consortium.

Funny thing is that my wife, Jenny, is the WebCT co-ordinator at ANU,
and so I get to hear about all sorts of "issues" that it has. I know
that ANU are considering a generic course "portal", so that each
course can appear on a single site, and then get bounced to whichever
web site it is actually hosted on (WebCT, moodle, Sakai, or some
discrete web-site as we generally use in the Department of Computer
Science).

How does a student promote one or the other over WebCT? Can't really
help on that, but you could ask your course lecturer(s) to consider
using one of the others. Other replies to this have good advice about
how to evaluate the options and make a case for one versus the other.

Jenny tells me that the ANU Students Association have a stake in the
decision on what to replace WebCT with and so you could find out who
the SA rep is and put your case to them.

Anyway, not really a Linux/CLUG issue, so I recommend any further
discussion be off this list (contact me directly, if you like).

Cheers,

Bob Edwards,
Chief IT Officer,
Department of Computer Science,