[clug] Ubuntu volume control

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Fri Aug 4 04:31:50 GMT 2006

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 02:25:39PM +1000, Geoff Lloyd wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After a bit of googling failed to turn up results, I ask the list:
>
> Is there a way of changing the output volume from a soundcard through
> the command line?
> I'm running Ubuntu 6.06 on an gigabyte motherboard, Intel 945PL with
> ALC882 sound...

tony at thor:~$ man -k mixer | egrep ALSA
alsamixer (1)        - soundcard mixer for ALSA soundcard driver, with ncurses interface
amixer (1)           - command-line mixer for ALSA soundcard driver
gnome-alsamixer (1)  - ALSA sound mixer for GNOME

I'd guess amixer is what you're looking for.

Yours Tony

   linux.conf.au       http://linux.conf.au/ || http://lca2007.linux.org.au/
   Jan 15-20 2007      The Australian Linux Technical Conference!