[clug] Adobe GoLive

Chris Smart chris at kororaa.org
Sat Apr 29 14:41:40 GMT 2006

On 29/4/06 8:09 PM, "Brian" <bnc at netspeed.com.au> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a friend who uses GoLive(XP).
> I presume because it is a WYSIWYG Web page development environment that is
> easy for him to put his pages online.

Quanta and bluefish are very good, but last time I used them they weren't
WYSIWYG. This might have changed now, I don't know.

> I attempted to get it to run under Wine but only got as far as the splash
> screen.
> I was told that he could not move to linux without a suitable replacement.
> The main criteria he has is that it must be simple and quick to make changes.
> Not a lot of requirement for cgi etc.

I have had better luck with crossover office than wine with some apps
(codeweavers.com).
They have a db of programs that work with it, here is "web designers":
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/cat?cat_id=27

Golive is listed as "untested", but appears dreamweaver MX works. Also, as
he's a webdesigner he will prob need IE under Linux so that he can hack his
html to make it work with IE, and therefore will prob need wine / cxoffice
anyhow.

> Does anyone have a recommendation?
I have found this webpage very useful in finding an opensource alternative
to Windows based apps:
http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html

Not that I have a useful answer for you, but just a few thoughts :)

Good luck!
Chris