[clug] How to prevent port forwarding

Christopher Zhang u4123459 at anu.edu.au
Sat Apr 22 13:09:00 GMT 2006

Hi,

I am interested to find out if it is possible, if so, how, that some
ISPs prevent 1 registered Internet user to distribute their Internet
connection by running their computer as a gateway for other users to
route through. The closest thing I can think of is TTL, since if
other hosts are routed through the legitimate host, then their TTL
will be at least be 1 less than if it were coming from the legitimate
host, without any artificial changes. Is this a plausible way for
ISPs ? Can anyone show me some iptables commands that the ISPs would
do? and also how can I change my TTLs and so on.

Thanks

Chris