[clug] Radeon 9200 and Xorg suckage

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at samba.org
Tue Apr 4 23:53:05 GMT 2006

At 2006/4/4 09:04-0700  Michael Still writes:
> I just picked up a Radeon 9200 PCI card for my MythTV machine, and I am
> using Xorg with Drapper Drake (Ubuntu). I've tried both the ati driver
> (which loads the radeon driver), and the radeon driver, and they both
> consume about 80% of the CPU while the machine is playing back video.
>
> This is a reasonably grunty machine, and I'd really like the CPU back.
> Have other people seen problems like this? I can't find any
> documentation that suggests that the ATI binary drivers will fix it, but
> I am tempted to give it a go. Does anyone know if the binary drivers
> work better at video playback?

I have Radeon 9600 card and use the binary drivers because it supports
the TV out on the card. From memory the open source drivers were ok
(except for lack for TV out).

Have you tried testing with xine or mplayer?  From the CPU usage it
sounds like its not using the Xv support. If so, its possible its a
MythTV configuration issue, but testing with xine/mplayer is the
easier way to debug what is the problem.

btw if you're trying to play HDTV then you can expect the CPU load to
be very high.

Chris
cyeoh at samba.org