[clug] Residential VOIP discussion, was Skype on Ubuntu

Joel Plane joel.plane at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 15:05:04 GMT 2005

I have a Grandstream BudgeTone-100 IP phone that I bought off Ebay. It's
setup to work on a private SIP network. Since getting it I've only used
it once to call the guy I bought it from. I noticed a slight delay when
talking. I'd say something, then I'd hear an echo of what I said, before
hearing the reply. Additionally, sometimes the voice seemed to skip a
bit (the guy had a strong accent so I'm not sure if it actually skipping
'cause I couldn't understand him much anyway). (and this is IP-to-IP)
Either the SIP proxy I was going through was a bit dodgy, or my Internet
connection has a too high latency. I suspect its a bit of both.
Within the next few I *should* be moving to Engin, so I'll have a PSTN
number and I'll be able to make or take call to/from the PSTN network
(Engin is very cheap evening with a PSTN number, only $9.95/month -
including calls i think). I'll let you know how that goes.

Joel Plane