[clug] Residential VOIP discussion, was Skype on Ubuntu

Greg Castle clugabcde at gregcastle.fastmail.fm
Thu Sep 29 07:44:58 GMT 2005

Hi all,

After reading John Goerzen's article below I got interested in saving
myself $30 a month line rental from Telstra and going entirely to VOIP.
I'm in a good position to do this as I share my neighbour's ADSL over
802.11g so I don't need the phoneline.  Just wondering if any other
Clugger's have done the same and have some recommendations?  Would be
interested to hear descriptions of any working setups.

I envisage getting a PSTN number (as long as it is cheap) so I can do
VOIP-PSTN and PSTN-VOIP.  Anyone have any experience with VOIP hardware
phones and/or VOIP-Analogue adaptors?  I'd be interested to know if
people have had success moving these devices to different locations
(e.g. overseas) and using them?  Pretty cool if that is the case - handy
for hotels that provide free internet --> call home for free! I figure I
might as well go the whole way and check out Asterisk and SIPatHome
while I'm at it.

Cheers,
Greg