[clug] Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy Badger beta

Peter Anderson peter.anderson at ozemail.com.au
Sun Sep 18 12:51:29 GMT 2005

I agree with Pascal's comments on Ubuntu Breezy Badger, although I have
only tried the live CD version.

I am relatively new to Linux but have tried a few different
distributions on my dual boot test PC.  I have had Ubuntu 5.04 installed
from just after its release and bit by bit have been tuning and
learning.  Before Hoary Hedgehog I thought Linux had some way to go
before it could match Windows XP for everyday use by a user with limited
Linux skills.  However, I am really pleased with the way Ubuntu
performs.  I support a number of not-for-profit web sites and am in the
process of moving them over to Linux and using Ubuntu as my 'production'
environment.

I guess "my" Ubuntu has taken several months of "fiddling" (and
learning) to get to the stage its at now; so it still requires a little
bit of work "out of the box".  Some of the most useful learning has been
coming to grips with tools like apt-get, gzip/rar and SMEG (Simple Menu
Editor for Gnome) really make a difference.  The Unofficial Ubuntu 5.04
Starter Guide is also a very handy reference.  Another useful tip is to
keep a diary of all the systems tasks you do (like mounting Windows XP
drives) so you know how to do it easier next time.

Umbutu IS a really nice Linux distribution.

Regards,
Peter
--
Peter Anderson
P: (02) 4472-2274
E: peter.anderson at ozemail.com.au
There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to
conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the
introduction of a new order of things -- Niccolo Machiavelli, /The
Prince/, ch. 6