[clug] Please recommend a SATA card (and a bonus RAID Q)

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Sat Sep 10 13:44:59 GMT 2005

I need a 4-way PCI SATA card. I acquired a Promise SATAII150 TX4
but it seems to give me trouble (I think).

Can anyone recommend a stable, supported card please?
Good performance will be good too.
Cheap would be nice...

While we are here, anyone uses software raid? How about raidreconf - any
good/bad stories?

I recall using it a few years ago successfully. I now tested it again,
this time for home use, and I get fs corruption. I tend to think that
it is the SATA card crapping under load, but maybe I am wrong. I get it
to fail upgrading a 3x10GB -> 4x10GB so it probably is not size related.
(testing with the full size 3x320GB->4x just takes too log).

I do not think that raidreconf had any development in the last 4 years
so I assumed it is stable, then again the official site says otherwise.

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au) <http://samba.org/eyal/>