[clug] Re: SLA5500

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Sep 8 06:45:09 GMT 2005

Tim Potter wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 15:35 +1000, Robert Edwards wrote:
>
>>I have used twonkyserver (the free music version) on my Linux server
>>at home with no problems at all. I am currently using gmediaserver.
>>It is a little rougher, but generally works fine.
>

> Oh cool - I didn't know there was a GPL Linux media server.  I've been
> writing my own in Python recently to talk to a Zensonic Z400.  I got it
> to play mp3 files the other day which was very exciting for me.

I did read your blogs about your Python efforts. Looked quite
interesting. Glad to hear that it works now.

> The most annoying problem I have found with UPnP stuff is that the
> announcement multicast UDP datagrams can't cross networks as they have a
> TTL of 1 (as per the UPnP spec).
>
> The original poster (Shawn?), might like to try plugging both devices
> into the same switch and see if that fixes things.  It usually did the
> trick for me.

Except that the SLA5500 is wireless only - not much to plug in.

There are all sorts of howtos about how to carry UPnP across a Linux
router - haven't read them myself as I'm not that interested in doing
this.

> Tim.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.