[clug] Re: SLA5500

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Thu Sep 8 05:45:01 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 15:35 +1000, Robert Edwards wrote:
> I have used twonkyserver (the free music version) on my Linux server
> at home with no problems at all. I am currently using gmediaserver.
> It is a little rougher, but generally works fine.

Oh cool - I didn't know there was a GPL Linux media server.  I've been
writing my own in Python recently to talk to a Zensonic Z400.  I got it
to play mp3 files the other day which was very exciting for me.

The most annoying problem I have found with UPnP stuff is that the
announcement multicast UDP datagrams can't cross networks as they have a
TTL of 1 (as per the UPnP spec).

The original poster (Shawn?), might like to try plugging both devices
into the same switch and see if that fixes things.  It usually did the
trick for me.

Tim.