[clug] quick Q: how do I enable DVI? answer

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Wed Sep 7 22:46:10 GMT 2005

Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> Got myself an LCD and finished setting up X with proper modes. So far
> all works but the image arrives on the analogue cable, the DVI input
> shows no signal.

I now have it all working. To summarise the situation for others:

The DVI will be activated if the machine is booted with it connected.
The VGA output may need to not be connected.

My video card is a single-link DVI. This allows for a bandwidth of
165MHz, enough for the 1920x1200 that I needed. However, the nvidia
driver only allowed 140MHz, probably due to the fact that this card
cannot deliver the full rate at spec. This seems to be a not uncommon
situation.

I downgraded my driver to when it was not having this limitation
(1.0-7174 from April) and it now works well.

I also needed to add a modeline as the default does not include the
required one.

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au) <http://samba.org/eyal/>
	attach .zip as .dat