[clug] X10 Home Automation + Linux

Robert Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Fri Sep 2 23:02:11 GMT 2005

I looked at using X10 at home many years ago, but we have 3-phase power,
so I needed to ensure that all the X10 devices are plugged into power
points (ahhh, I love using that term in it's older sense) and lamp
fittings on the same phase. There is, apparently, a device for carrying
the X10 signalling across phases, but I haven't seen it advertised for
the 240V market.

One day, I'll have to scope out which power points (there it is again -
bliss!) are on which phase. Same problem applies for those intercoms
that plug into power only and work over the mains wiring.

The other alternative is to buy multiple X10 "controllers", one for each
phase that is being used, and then sorting out which controller is on
the same phase as which device.

Using X10 in the Leonard Huxley machine room may have been intermittent
due to cross-phase issues. Then again, there is a whole lot of heavy
machinery in there (especially the Air Con) that I am sure the X10 folk
did not allow for in the design for when it is switching on and off in
the near-vicinity (X10 was intended for home use, not industrial use).
There is also, probably, some massive power-line filtering - another
killer for X10.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.