[clug] X10 Home Automation + Linux

Paul Warren u3292467 at anu.edu.au
Fri Sep 2 06:01:54 GMT 2005

> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with X10 home automation
> style products, and their interaction with Linux?
>
> I'm looking into some retro-fit units from www.eon3.com.au (see links
> below), and they have a url which points to some free software for it's
> control (http://heyu.tanj.com/heyu2/index.html).  The prices don't seem
> too
> bad for the hardware; providing it works as documented, it seems like
> something that would be fun and should in theory be quite easy to interact
> with a PC + linux in a realtime situation.
> If anyone can share their experience with either X10 (or similar) and
> linux,
> or any good/bad feedback from eon3 it would be appreciated.
>
> The products i'm looking at playing with:
> Basic starter setup (PC interface, lamp and appliance module, cable,
> windoze
> software)
> http://www.eon3.com/content/products/product-detail.asp?intProductID=1
> Bayonet light kit (bayonet light fitting, RF transceiver interface, remote
> control)
> http://www.eon3.com/content/products/product-detail.asp?intProductID=290
>
> Thanks, and appreciate any feedback/experience people have to offer,
>
> Matt
>
> --

I've had some experience with the x10 modules you can get from Dick Smith.
 Basically, they suck.  We wrote some python code to talk to the x10
modules, and we had reliability issues from all the modules. eg. the lamp
module would turn on once out of three times, and then wouldn't turn off
until after midday ;)

Even the 'heyu' program had the same issues as our python modules.

Just my experience, Others have had better experiences :)
--
Paul Warren
u3292467 at anu dot edu dot au