[clug] Q: Linux process accounting?

Sam Couter sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Thu Sep 1 09:07:19 GMT 2005

Alex Satrapa <grail at goldweb.com.au> wrote:
> Do any of the OSS operating systems provide IO accounting? The
> machine is a mail server after all, so monitoring IO (especially disk
> I/O) is going to be essential to performance tuning. I've heard/read
> that some people find Free/OpenBSD idea for mail or database servers
> due to their handling of disk I/O - does this sound right?

Linux has in the past been widely acknowleged as the fastest database
and mail server because of its fast asynchronous I/O, but I don't know
if that view is still valid with modern BSDs. These days they are also
capable of fast asynchronous I/O and their log-based filesystems have
the jump on any Linux filesystem as far as write performance goes.
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Debian Developer    |  mailto:eddie at debian.org