[clug] Problems with Ubuntu & Kubuntu 5.10 Live PowerPC with iMac G5

Ian Matters ian at iristech.com.au
Tue Oct 18 21:24:14 GMT 2005

Hi everyone.

I've recently downloaded the ISOs for Ubuntu 5.10 Live PowerPC and
Kubuntu 5.10 Live PowerPC to try them on an 17 inch Apple iMac G5 box
without much luck.  The iMac involved is one of the early ones with
an Apple Bluetooth module, an inbuilt AirPort Extreme module, 2GB of
RAM and a Matsushita UJ-825 DVD drive.

The problem with both Ubuntu and Kubuntu is that the boot process
continues as normal until it arrives at the initialisation of Gnome
or KDE at which stage the machine lock's up tight with a Gnome or KDE
blank coloured background and a mouse cursor.  I can't even toggle
the Caps Lock key or move the mouse cursor.

I've had a quick look around the Ubuntu and Kubuntu web sites but
haven't seen any reference to a problem like this.  Does anybody have
any pointers as to what I should try?  Perhaps some startup options
or something?

Cheers.

Ian Matters
Canberra, Australia [35S, 149E]