[clug] Residential VOIP discussion, was Skype on Ubuntu

Neil Pickford neilp at goldweb.com.au
Wed Oct 5 23:19:37 GMT 2005

Irrespective on what you do to provide a backup supply for the network
equipment in your home, I suspect VOIP on TransACT VDSL network WOULD be
affected by a power outage as the local network nodes do not have a full
battery UPS.

The POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) pairs TransACT supply bypass the
local network node and are terminated at a bigger super node that
implements the PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network) function WITH
full battery backup like a normal telephone service.

So if you were to go totally VOIP then you are at a highrt risk of NO
Phone Comms during disaster/outage situations.

Neil Pickford