[clug] LDAP over SSL/TLS not working

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Tue Oct 4 00:50:11 GMT 2005

Only 3? You forgot /etc/ldap/slapd.conf and /etc/default/slapd.conf!

As for /etc/libnss_ldap and /etc/pam_ldap.conf, one of these
(/etc/libnss_ldap.conf) is for using LDAP as a Naming Service
(eg. username -> uid etc.) and the other is for using LDAP as
an Authentication Service (eg. is user X who they say they are?).

You may want to use LDAP as a naming service and something else
for authentication, or (as we do on some systems here), use one
LDAP server for naming and a different one altogther (with a
different baseDN) for authentication.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.