[clug] Runlevel 5 vs 3 and startx

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Thu Nov 24 23:56:57 GMT 2005

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005, Michael James wrote:

> So it IS old-fashioned keeping servers at runlevel 3.

OK, so I'm old fashioned ;)

My servers run at runlevel 2, but I guess what we're really discussing is
"running X or not".

I prefer "not". Some of the servers are in China. Not much point having a
graphical console when I'm in Canberra...

Running X also pokes the video hardware in ways that servers don't
require.

For the paranoid-about-blackhats type of person, you're still running
stuff you don't need to - it's really up to preference as to where the
risk/benefit analysis falls.

> michaelj

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   N    _--_|\ /---- Barham, Vic
Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek              | W + E /     /\