[clug] Mass Mailing

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Wed Nov 23 11:44:21 GMT 2005

Dr Mikel wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to find a simple mass mailing solution (it's not spam).
> The recipients come from a database that can be in text or excel format.
> 50,000+ that needs to go out every weekend.
> And another 1000+ with attachment every weekend.

I've had to solve a smaller problem for a club, and my method is to use email
list management software like MailMan.  It's relatively easy to add bulk
addresses, and a simple diff will quickly compare your old list to your new
one to add only those changed addresses.  The MailMan software and the
underlying mailer that the machine is on will handle the load sharing, and the
inevitable bounces.  It also means that you can advertise your list as an
opt-in list, and allow a simple method for people to remove themselves from
your list once they're on.

And you get nice web archives, web forms for people to control their settings,
and other bits and pieces, 'for free'.

HTH,

Paul