[clug] openoffice 2.0 spelling issues

Drew Parsons Drew.Parsons at anu.edu.au
Wed Nov 23 01:18:43 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 11:05 +1100, Tomasz Ciolek wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Has anyone got the openoffice 2.x spelling working reliably under Debain
> Sarge? If so, how?

They've got this stupid coupling between default document language and
spellcheck dictionary, so that if your language is English (Australian),
then OOo doesn't let the spellcheck do anything since there is "no
Australian dictionary".  That is, it won't let you set the dictionary
separately to English (UK).  I've filed a Debian bug about it, though
really it's upstream's problem.

The only workaround I know for now is to set the document language to
English (UK).  And install the myspell en_GB dictionary, of course :)
(unless, judging from your name, you want myspell-pl!)

Drew