[clug] Intro to Unix web page needed

Michael Carden crash at michaelcarden.net
Fri Nov 4 10:07:34 GMT 2005

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 05:20 pm, Brad Hards wrote:

> RUTE is a nice looking work, available in HTML, PDF and sometimes from
> bookshops.
>
> http://rute.2038bug.com/rute.html.gz

I keep a local copy of RUTE on most of my machines and set up a browser
bookmark bar button (bbbb?) to pop it up quickly. Very nicely written, though
like anything else it's securely tied to the author and his prejudices. Not
that his are bad, but it's worth realising that his personal views come
through in the book. As a free (in all senses) resource it's awesome.

I'd also suggest considering dead tree publications as well. Much as I am an
online and free-info junkie, I have to confess that some of my most profound
'Ah-ha!' moments have come from reading books. The O'Reilly LPI book and the
Linux Command reference are superb. So are several of the (dreadfully
expensive, get someone else to buy them) Linux magazines.

Right now I'm reading File System Forensics by Brian Carrier and while some of
it is poorly edited and much is very basic, I'm finding it a suitably
detailed explanation of exactly how hard discs and file systems interact.
Rather cool.

IIRC, sourceforge has some stuff hosted that was meant to be course content
for teaching Linux. Last I looked it was a couple of years old and
incomplete, but showed promise. Use the sourceforge search with perhaps LPI
as the search string.

Cheers,
MC