[clug] Serial ATA on Tyan Tiger i7320R

Stephen Hodgman steve at namsys.com.au
Tue May 31 00:02:27 GMT 2005

Thanks Steve.  I was starting to suspect we had been sold a pup.
Confusing thing is, I cannot find any reference to the Adaptec model
AIC-8110 as to what it actually is.  Probably soem OEM chip.  I assume
fakeraid.
I will be speaking to the supplier.  I was assured it was hardware
RAID.  Life is a learning process.

So, it seems that software RAID is the only real choice with this
system.  Anyone able to give me suggestions as to whether this is a
sensible option?  The system will mainly be serving pages, not updating
databases etc.
does the linux software raid support hot swap?  this hardware claims to
but not sure what happens if the raid is not enabled.  It will be
running Debian Sarge 2.6 kernel.

Thanks,

--
-------