[clug] Mounting Win XP DIRECTORY in Linux

Peter Anderson pjafrombbay at yahoo.com.au
Sat May 28 02:35:50 GMT 2005

Hi!

I am a 'newish' Linux user.  I have a PC with two hard drives; one has
WinXP Home and the other Umbutu 5.04 (and very good it is too).  I have
modified fstab to mount 'hda1' at Linux boot time.  However, I would
like to mount at the Windows "My Documents" directory to save all the
clicking and mousing required to navigate down the directory tree each
time I want to access a document stored there.  I have tried to create
a link to "My Documents" but I get error messages about the drive being
write protected (or something similar).

I have experimented with commands such as:

sudo mount
/dev/hda1/Documents\040and\040Settings/Peter\040Anderson/My\040Documents/
/media/windocs -t ntfs -o umask=0222

But can't get anything to work.  I have also 'Googled' extensively and
not been able to find much help (except the use of the '\040' escape
sequence for 'space' characters.

Does anyone know how to do this?  Can it be done?  Or, does 'mount'
only mount at the root volume level?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Peter