[clug] What's the fastest way of deleting files?

Michael James clug at james.st
Wed May 11 07:35:29 GMT 2005

It's partition cleanup time again,
 what's the fastest way of deleting files?

It's only 150 Gig of the files in that filesystem
 so I can't simply unmount, re-mkfs, and mount again.
That would be too quick and easy.

Partition is reiserfs3.6 if that matters.

rm -r				takes forever, gives no feedback.

find -type f -print -exec rm {} \;	still chugging after hours

rm */*/*				too many arguments

To get the hands on part over quickly
 I make a TRASH directory in the same partition
 and  "mv unwanted_dir  TRASH"

But then the TRASH needs to be emptied, trashd anyone?
Not something you'd normally need I know.

Michael James			michael at james.st
Network Programmer		work:   02 6246 5040
8 Brennan St			home:   02 6247 2556
Hackett, ACT 2602		mobile: 04 1747 4065

Give the people control of media, they will use it.
Don't give people control of media, and you will lose them.
Jeff Jarvis