[clug] Starting services in ubuntu

paul at pabryan.mine.nu paul at pabryan.mine.nu
Wed May 11 02:11:09 GMT 2005

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 11:51:10AM +1000, David Gibson wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 11:35:19AM +1000, paul at pabryan.mine.nu wrote:
> > On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 10:08:54AM +1000, David Gibson wrote:

<snip>

> > Where update-rc.d differs from chkconfig however is due to it being,
> > as you say, for package scripts. If links already exist, it won't
> > overwrite them. So, it's really only for creating the links
> > initially. This is a Debian policy thing. The assumption is that, if
> > the links exist, the sys admin did it and the package scripts should
> > respect that.
>
> Right, which means it can't do the handy things chkconfig does, of
> changing which runlevels a service is active in.

No, it can. You just have to do the remove first. Then you set the run
levels as you please. My example just showed how to do the default
setup. You can use it to explicitly set on which run levels the
service is active or inactive.

So, you end up issuing two commands where chkconfig can do it one.

Cheers,
Paul.