[clug] Starting services in ubuntu

Tony and Robyn Lewis beakysnugger at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 11 01:41:16 GMT 2005

Crosskey, Jason (DPS) wrote:

>Does ubuntu have any commands like service and chkcfg in RH to start
>services. I was trying to start apache using /etc/init.d/apache2 but
>didn't work. I also couldn't find the start script in rc3.d. Do I need
>to create a link the old way?

The link should all be there, but I suspect you'll find that it's been
installed, but is disabled by default.  I take this is a security
feature - it's an explicit decision of yours to enable it.

Most likely (guessing) it'll be some file like /etc/default/apache2 with
a line like
    START=0

To find out for sure, try:

# sh -x /etc/init.d/apache2 start

This will put trace info on the screen echoes each line before executing
it.  I'm guessing you'll see it source the file in /etc/default and then
make a decision to terminate based on some setting in there.

HTH,

Tony