[clug] Starting services in ubuntu

Michael James Michael.James at csiro.au
Wed May 11 01:02:09 GMT 2005

On Wed, 11 May 2005 10:08 am, David Gibson wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 09:37:18AM +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> > On 11 May 2005, Jason.Crosskey at aph.gov.au wrote:
> > > Does ubuntu have any commands like service
> > > and chkcfg in RH to start services?
> > > I was trying to start apache using /etc/init.d/apache2
> > > but it didn't work.
> > > I also couldn't find the start script in rc3.d.
> > > Do I need to create a link the old way?

Is "insserv" a SuSE (United Linux) thing?
(Because it's a damn good thing.)

For me just saying "insserv apache2" as root
 creates all the links from suitably numbered S scripts.

It gets the default levels and dependencies
 from "active comments" in the startup script.

"insserv -r apache2" removes them.

Mind you, if  "/etc/init.d/apache2 start"  doesn't work,
 you have something to sort out before any of this will help you.

michaelj

Michael James                         michael.james at csiro.au
System Administrator                    voice:  02 6246 5040
CSIRO Bioinformatics Facility             fax:  02 6246 5166

Internet Explorer is fine for downloading Firefox,
 but after that....