[clug] Starting services in ubuntu

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Tue May 10 23:37:18 GMT 2005

On 11 May 2005, "Crosskey, Jason (DPS)" <Jason.Crosskey at aph.gov.au> wrote:
> Does ubuntu have any commands like service and chkcfg in RH to start
> services. I was trying to start apache using /etc/init.d/apache2 but
> didn't work. I also couldn't find the start script in rc3.d. Do I need
> to create a link the old way?

It does not have a service command.   Just running

  /etc/init.d/apache2 start

should do it; have a look in the apache error log and see if something
is preventing it starting.  If all else fails do

  sh -x /etc/init.d/apache2 start

to get some debugging information

I sometimes find it useful to define a service command like this:

  $ sudo -s
  # echo '/etc/init.d/$*' > /usr/local/bin/service
  # chmod +x /usr/local/bin/service

--
Martin