[UNCLASSIFIED]RE: [clug] WiFi Direction Finder

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at anu.edu.au
Fri May 6 04:50:54 GMT 2005

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 11:57:23AM +1000, Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au wrote:
> Kim Holburn wrote:

> > With a good directional antenna you can probably not worry about them?

> This is my favoured approach. A PDA with a GPS and directional aerial.
> sweep the aerial back and forth and log signal strength, your position
> and orientation of the aerial (easy when it's fixed to the GPS) when
> the signal peaks.

> Take half a dozen reading from around the vicinity and plot vectors
> on the base map you also happen to store on your PDA.

PDA? Surely this should be mounted on one of those robotic remote-control cars?

Assuming that ANU Robotics Champsionship thing that used to run every year is
still going, now's the time for an upgrade to the car, and then the schools get
to compete to produce the best AP-hunting robot car. Preferably loaded with a
set of APs to ignore, so it only hunts down the rouges, rather than just circling
under a roof-mounted AP in MCC foyer.

^_^

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson at Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.