[clug] WiFi Direction Finder

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Fri May 6 01:42:55 GMT 2005

On 2005 May 6, , at 11:33 AM, Michael James wrote:

> On Fri, 6 May 2005 10:39 am, Paul Wayper wrote:
>
>> Sweep the stick around, and when the timing difference
>> was exactly the same as the distance between the aerials
>> (or, more generally, approached a maximum),
>> your stick points to the access point.
>
> The sin function is flat at 1 (maximum)
>  but has a gradient of 1 at 0 (minimum).
>
> So you will get a more accurate angle
>  by turning till the signals arrive simultaneously
>  and sighting down the perpendicular bisector.
> Probably easier to pick in hardware too.
>
> Yes, checking which aerial was ahead at maximum
>  would tell you which way to sight...  ;^)
>
> One solution would digitise both inputs,
>  use software to define windows
>  when the target station is transmitting,
>  and check the alignment within those windows.
>
> When we see you wandering around
>  with a pair of wifi aerials rotating
>  we will know what you are up to.
>
> Echoes...
> How far can you get before you have to de-convolute echoes?

With a good directional antenna you can probably not worry about them?

> --
> Michael James                         michael.james at csiro.au
> System Administrator                    voice:  02 6246 5040
> CSIRO Bioinformatics Facility             fax:  02 6246 5166
>
> Internet Explorer is fine for downloading Firefox,
>  but after that....
> --

Kim Holburn
Network Manager,  National ICT Australia Ltd.
Ph: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 417820641 F: +61 2 6230 6121 aim://kimholburn
Email: kim.holburn at anu.edu.au  - PGP Public Key on request
callto://kholburn
Cacert Root Cert: http://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=16 ->
http://www.cacert.org/cacert.crt
Aust. Spam Act: To stop receiving mail from me: reply and let me know.

Use ISO 8601 dates [YYYY-MM-DD]
http://www.saqqara.demon.co.uk/datefmt.htm
                           -- Lloyd Biggle, Jr. Analog, Apr 1961