[clug] How to connect computer to printer through printer server

Okki Lee okki.lee at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 06:13:57 GMT 2005

Pearl Louis wrote:
 > Hi guys
 >
 > I was wondering if I could get some advice in how to get my Fedora 3
 > laptop to talk to two laser printers in my laboratory.  Now the
 > situation is, the two printers are connected to a dedicated print
 > server called "Fast Dedicated Print Server Mini300" for which I have
 > the IP address.  Now, even getting a Windows machine to talk to the
 > printers is a bit of an issue.  First you have to download what looks
 > like a driver from a website which as far as I can tell is called "I
 > Love Epson".  Then when you go through the whole "Add Printer" wizard
 > you have to choose using a special port which in the Properties window
 > of Windows XP looks like "LPT:PS47AB-1".    Now to add to the fun and
 > why I've been so vague is because I am currently in Japan so the
 > printers (Epsons) are Japanese printers, the only info I can find on
 > the web about them and the print server is in Japanese and the "I Love
 > Epson" web page is in Japanese as were the special driver programs I
 > had to download (which resulted in a lot of fun trying to run them on
 > an English version of Windows XP - neither I nor my Japanese
 > co-workers could read the gibberish dialogue boxes.  And people say
 > having the "OK" button in a predictable position i.e. on the right or
 > left is not important :)  Now in Fedora 3 I've tried the Add Printer
 > gui many times and I've tried all the options but none of them seem to
 > work, though admittedly I may have been doing something wrong.  This
 > is one of the last major things forcing me to use Windows on the
 > laptop (it's really annoying having to reboot to print out a paper).
 >
 > Thanks in advance for the help!
 > Pearl

On WinXP, it seems you selected the "Local printer attached to this computer"
option. This is good when your printer is connected to your local computer
directly or a network through TCP/IP (without a printer server).

However, as the printers are connected to a printer server, you have to select
the option "A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer" in
AddPrinter Wizard. Then press Next and choose the second option ("Connect to
this printer") and enter the print server's name and printer name.

Hope this will help.
--
Okki Lee, PhD
Email : okki.lee at gmail.au