[clug] SuSE 9.2 and a WSXGA screen - Aaaagh!

ellisfamily ellisfamily at homemail.com.au
Thu Jun 23 14:52:05 GMT 2005

Hi, all.

I have a new laptop at work that has a WSXGA screen, and when I put SuSE 9.2
on it the screen had lots of vertical stripes on it. I checked with an
outboard display and got the same result. (I checked by booting a live CD
Knoppix 3.8.2 and the screen went black.) SuSE because I like it, and have a
home machine running that config and I like it and understand it a little.

Here's what will make you green (either envy or the gag reflex!):
Acer Travelmate 8104WLMi
Pentium M 760 processor @ 2GH 533MHz FSB2MB L2 cache
15.4" WSXGA TFT LCD screen (1680 x 1050 native resolution; 32 bit colour; it
also allows 1400x1050, 1280x1024, 1280x 768, 1152x864, 1024x768, 1024x600,
800x600, )
ATI Mobility Radeon X700 with 128MB RAM
80GB HD (so I was generous with the Linux allocation)
DVD/CD drive

I have re-installed using the "manual" settings to give me the option of
setting the screen, but the setting didn't "stick" and I got the same
result.

I have searched out one article on installing to a WSXGA 1680 x 1050 lappy,
using an older Fedora, but it's not much help.

I can't get along to the meeting, but I'd be happy to meet someone for a
'consultation' on an "all care but no responsibility" basis with the
machine.

With thanks,
Peter