[clug] Debian Sarge or Ubuntu for a server?

Ian Matters ian at iristech.com.au
Tue Jun 14 22:16:48 GMT 2005

Hi all.

I have been running a small Debian Woody based server for some time
time (in fact a bunch of them) and am now considering my options for
a software upgrade for the main server.  I think that my preference
would be to move to Debian Sarge or to Ubuntu "Hoary Hedgehog" as I
prefer the Debian way of doing things.

I recognise that Ubuntu is largely targeted at the desktop user
although with minimal work it seems that Ubuntu "Hoary Hedgehog" can
(almost) deliver the goods as a simple server.  A couple of things
make me wonder if this is the "true path" though.  The first one is
that Ubuntu has two upgrades per year which is great if you are after
glitz I suspect that biannual upgrades might get to be a bit tedious
after a while in a server application.  The second is that as a
server I would prefer to run the machine "headless" i.e. with no
monitor, keyboard or mouse.  It seems that CUPS is broken in Ubuntu
to the degree that remote web-based CUPS administration is disabled.
Most other stuff seems to work however in a mockup that I've been
experimenting with.

What do others think about this?  Would I be better to stick with
Debian and move from Woody to Sarge?  Or would I advised to use
Ubuntu this time around?

All input welcome.

Cheers.

Ian Matters
Canberra, Australia

Phone  : (02) 6258 3079 [+61 2 6258 3079]
Mobile : 0410 009 046 [+61 410 009 046]
Email  : ian at iristech.com.au
Web    : http://www.iristech.com.au