[CLUG] Advice on LPI

Michael Carden crash at michaelcarden.net
Wed Jun 8 11:14:12 GMT 2005

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 02:48 pm, Michael Still wrote:
> freegazer wrote:
> > Can anyone advise on a local (ACT) provider for these courses?
> > not just a testing center for them but an actually course provider.
>
> CIT runs courses which result in LPI exams being sat. That is all I know.

I'm not sure how much more I actually know, but the LPI exams at LCA were
arranged by James Hamilton who (coincidentally?) appears to be a trainer at
CIT.

James indicated at LCA that he was hoping to run some more LPI exam sessions
at or for CLUG later this year. I sat the 101 exam at LCA (and passed, yay!)
and I'm keen to do the others.

If I could figure out a way to do it, I reckon an LPI study group would be a
Good Thing (tm). CLUG has many members with exceptionally extensive knowledge
on tap... it's just a matter of figuring out how to wring it from their...
er.. ahem.... how to best engage them in helping us newbies.

The LPI syllabus is quite clearly defined. So maybe we set a time, a place and
a topic and try to get someone along who knows that topic really, really
well. I reckon some good ground might be covered that way.

I'm not sure if I agree with the LPI ethos and its heavy reliance on
memorising the minutiae of commands, as opposed to (for example) the Red Hat
'hands-on' methodology for testing. I tend to let 'man' and friends take care
of stuff that I don't use every day. The LPI way is hard. Their questions are
at times diabolical in their subtlety. Still... I'd like to get through them.

Anyway, LPI or not, I reckon one of the best educational resources for Linux
that I have yet seen is CLUG meetings. At every meeting, no exceptions, I
have come away having gained knowledge. We are remarkably lucky to have CLUG
in our back yard.

Cheers,
MC