[clug] logcheck or logwatch?

Donovan J. Edye donovan at edyeweb.com
Fri Jun 3 23:25:27 GMT 2005

S,

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 11:44:43AM +1000, Stephen Granger wrote:

> Feel free to have a rant, if you think your going to be too off topic
> reply off list.
I use a couple of tools to get the best coverage of logs etc.

LogWatch: Provides daily summary reports of what is going on
Zabbix: Provides real time monitoring and notification (a la Nagios)
awStats: Pretty monthly reports to have a look at trends that have happened over
the past period (Zabbix can be used for this as well, but I prefer the awStats
reports I can either have emailed or accessed via a web interface)

I find that the combination of these makes monitoring boxes easy and not a
chore:

LogWatch: Couple of second scan to see what has been happening
Zabbix: Only look at any emails that may arrive (set to notify only on triggers
defined). May also use for real time analysis.
awStats: Only read these once a month

Just my 2c worth. All this done on Fedora but Debian should be no different.

--D